Informative Speech  

Posted by Lintang Syuhada in


Specific Purpose:
The specific purpose of my speech is to give information about exchange student experience, and encourage American teenager to become an exchange student.

Thesis:
The information about the AFS program and my personal experiences with the AFS program is impact on the world community, and hoping this program really encourage American teenager to become an exchange student.

Introduction:
                   I.            How many of you know about AFS program?
A.    If you know what it is, when is it begin? And what is it goal?
a.       According to the AFS website www.afs.org, accessed on 23 November 2011, it states, “AFS Intercultural Programs began as the American Field Service (AFS), which had its origins in 1914 shortly after the outbreak of World War I, when young Americans living in Paris volunteered as ambulance drivers at the American Hospital of Paris. AFS participated in every major French battle and carried more than 500,000 wounded during World War I. By the end of the war, 2,500 men had served in the American Field Service with the French Armies. The AFS Foundation was established on July 13th, 2004 in Zurich to assist AFS International and its affiliates worldwide in promoting intercultural exchanges and preserving the legacy of AFS and the American Field Service, including holding trademarks”.
b.      According to the YES exchange student website, accessed on 23 November 2011, it states, “Exchange programs give participants an all access pass to discover and explore a new culture. Since 1947, AFS has given more than 400,000 students and young adult professionals the opportunity to travel abroad and embark on personal growth experiences that continue for a lifetime. This year, the worldwide network of AFS Volunteers will work with almost 13,000 students each looking for an exciting and educational international experience”.
c.       AFS Intercultural Programs is an educational organization dedicated to providing enriched learning experiences that promote intercultural awareness, tolerance and communication. By providing immersive learning experiences in new environments combined with regular reflection and coaching opportunities, AFS helps participants build solid foundations for the future whether in their academic careers, entry into the workforce or simply as responsible and tolerant members of the larger community.


Transition:
Now you’re able to know about AFS Intercultural Programs, what are the goals from this programs, let me share about my experience as an exchange student, and what is the experience as an exchange student.

                II.            Now that you are known about AFS Intercultural Programs, what are the experiences as an exchange student?
A.    According to the website of AFS Programs, accessed on 27 November 2011, Laura, AFS Participant in Australia in 1984 said, "My AFS experience was one of the best things I ever did in my life. I made life-long friends and gained a new family. I cannot recommend it more."
Cristiana, AFS Participant in Italy in 2010 said, "I think is more than an exchange experiences, is something about what you are, who you are, which that is your roll on this world, what you expect from the others, and what do you expect from yourself. I think is like a life concentrated on 10 months. Only who lives it can understand! "
B.     According to some interview with some exchange student in USA, accessed with online interview on 27 November 2011, I got some experience from each student; Robby Arsyahdani AFS participant from Indonesia in USA in 2011 said, “My experiences are like everything I learned, I am blessed to be here to get this scholarship learning what I have never knew before, I am feeling like it's a dream, every time I close my eyes, I don't believe if I am here, in the middle of American family, in the middle of American community, I think it is a dream, because I feel like just yesterday I leave my family, I feel like just yesterday I play with my friends in the school, doing something, but it's not, it's not a dream, it's real, I am here in USA”. Ozlem Er AFS participant from Turkey in USA in 2011 said, “I think be an exchange student is awesome idea, I learn culture, I meet with a lot of people from different nationalities and religions. You expand your perspective of life. The more different people you know. I suggest everyone to be an exchange student to get mature and learn a lot of thing about world”.
C.     As an exchange student, I also have experiences that would like to share with you, I think be an exchange student is not easy, I have to leave my family, friends, school, teachers, and some relation in my country. But that all not really problem, I’m very happy be an exchange student, I brought ideas and cultures to share with other people, make a better understanding for better world, learn other language, I guess all in exchange year can’t be write by anything, because too much experiences, and the most thing for my life is this programs build myself, to be awareness, open mind, tolerant, and keep learn. One word to describe exchange student is “unforgettable”. That’s little bit my experiences and my opinion about exchange student.

Transition: 
They are some of AFS participant experiences that have been shared for us, now the question is, what are the impacts of become exchange student?

             III.            What are the impacts of become exchange student?
A.    Students make a lot of friend; during the experience abroad, participants often build close attachments with their host families through daily interaction in the household. Participants also form deep and meaningful connections with other AFS Participants, who they meet at orientation sessions and activities organized by AFS in the host country. Not surprisingly, students who have taken part in exchange programs are shown to have less anxiety interacting with people from different cultures later in life.
B.     Personal growth; trough immersion in a foreign culture, AFS Participants expand their perspectives and learn more about themselves in the process. Exchange programs build maturity as participants become more self-reliant and confident in their own abilities. By experiencing another culture as an outsider, they gain a deeper understanding of the world and take steps towards becoming responsible global citizens. Participants also develop useful skills for the future, such as fluency in another language, which can provide a competitive advantage when applying for college or in the workforce.
C.     AFS Participants enrich the educational experience of fellow students, both in the host country and in their own schools. The school-based exchange programs offered by AFS give students and teachers the chance to interact with someone from another culture. In the same manner, participants are able to contribute to their schools' curricula upon their return, sharing what they have learned with their peers.

Transition:
So the AFS program has very good impacts for become exchange student, for the last question is how to become an exchange student or how to participate in this program?

             IV.            How to become an exchange student or how to participate in this program?
A.    Become an exchange student from Indonesia to USA, we have to passed selection for scholarship, we have to pay for non-scholarship and we have to have age between 15 and 18 years old. Collecting form for health, school, family, hosting and departure.
B.     Become an exchange student from USA to everywhere, have to have age between 14 and 19 years old, wish to be an exchange student, get selection for scholarship and pay for non-scholarship, and collecting form that use to be for exchange student.
C.     All information will be present in this brochure from AFS Intercultural Programs, and from YES Program.

Transition:
Now, you know how to be an exchange student.

Conclusion:

                V.            AFS exchange programs draw people from around the world who want to get to know people from other countries.
A.    Become an exchange student make better understanding for better world, with learn other countries, learn culture and always learn more.
B.     The impacts of exchange student are very good for themselves, and for environment, or for global world.
C.     To be an exchange student, there are requirements to do and completed.
Talk together, walk together, and be an exchange student, make an understanding and realize peace in the world.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment